Tuesday 14 October 2014

New chemo treatment begins tomorrow

I'm starting my next course of treatment tomorrow with my first infusion of gemcitabine. I'm pleased that the oncology centre has managed to schedule this so soon as I'm keen to make a start. This will let me evaluate the level of side effects and get the drugs to the growing tumours as soon as possible.
 
A couple of weeks ago I was finding it difficult to accept gem/tax as something I was willing to take. Intellectually I could see that it was the treatment option for which the best case could be made but emotionally the thought of taking it with all the attendant side effects was causing me real anxiety and concern. Once I got the confirmation that the scan reports showed that the cancer was growing again the way I feel about this treatment changed dramatically. I'm now even more convinced that it's the right option for me and I'm feeling much more positive about giving it a try. Psychologically I feel like I'm in a much better place to be starting the treatment than I was just a week and a half ago.
 
Assuming the infusion goes ahead tomorrow I probably won't post an update until Sunday or Monday, that will give me time to understand something of the side effects across the first few days of the cycle. I will be due to have the second infusion, consisting of both gemcitabine and docetaxal, on Wednesday next week.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment